Monday, April 18

I admit: I'm a gatherer

I love gathering links, but I'm bad at sorting them. Nevertheless I try to be good at my delicious account and annotate properly. But sometimes - like now - it's just too hard not to blog about stuff (although there's a book waiting for a review and lots of other *important* stuff, that I should do). Ok, I'll stop ranting, here's what I wanted to say: Lots of interesting (note to self: must find another word for that!) conversations are going on: here Marco Kalz compares blogging to an ongoing conference:
Durch das Lesen von Weblogs bindet man sich selbst in eine Expertengemeinschaft ein, in der neue Themen mit einer Geschwindigkeit diskutiert, analysiert und auch wieder verworfen werden, die wahrscheinlich mit einer ständigen Konferenz vergleichbar ist.
Also, he says he thinks it's important to find a space for reflection with no Bloglines, Furl, ICQ or Skype:
Ich bin überzeugt davon, dass man jedoch nur produktiv eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit schreben kann, wenn man sich zumindest für eine Zeit mit seinem Material in ein "stilles Kämmerlein" zurückzieht. Kein Bloglines, kein Furl und am besten auch kein ICQ, Skype oder sonstige Kommunikationsanlässe.
sth, that reminds me of my earlier post about time management and research.

Then there's a discussion on the AOIR-List about information overflow. Leslie Regan Shade wrote a review of the book: "No Time: Stress and the Crisis of Modern Life"

So, for many of us, Menzies's latest book will be an urgent wake-up call to slow down, reflect on our family and work priorities, and talk among ourselves. It's often not until the infrastructure -- whether physical or emotional -- breaks down that we engage in inner contemplation and a renewal of community connections.
I think it's a topic that affects most bloggers I read, and sure does apply to myself too. I wonder if stopping to blog/skype/icq/etc. for a day a week, like mentioned in Jeff Youngs "When to Log Off"would solve that or change anything.
andrea[dot]handl[at]gmail[dot]com

Powered by Blogger